As part of a state visit to the Czech Republic, President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has reviewed the ancient Charles Bridge in Prague.
The President was informed that one of the historical monuments of the Czech capital that has attracted particular attention of tourists is the Charles Bridge over the Vltava River, which separates Prague into two parts. The bridge was built by architect Peter Parler on the orders of King of Bohemia and Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV in 1357-1400. It is 516 meters long and 10 meters wide. The bridge connects the eastern and western parts of the capital. Until 1841, it was the only means linking the part of Prague rich in castles with old quarters across the River Vltava.
It was noted that the Charles Bridge, located at the crossroads of Eastern and Western Europe, has historically been of great importance. The towers built on both sides of the bridge ensured its security. The tower on the east side of the bridge provides entrance to the old town and is considered one of the most beautiful buildings of medieval Europe. The tower is decorated with coats of arms of the rulers of the territories subordinated to Emperor Charles IV. On the second floor of the tower there are statues of the patron of the bridge, St. Vitus, as well as Charles IV and Wenceslas IV. The other tower built in the western part of bridge is also beautiful. In 1700, about 30 large and small sculptures were erected at the edges of the bridge in the Baroque style. These sculptures make the bridge even more attractive.
The President of Azerbaijan was told that artisans demonstrate their crafts and entertain people during the day on the crowded bridge. This ancient grand structure always causes people’s admiration.